Thursday 10 September 2020

Lake Daniell William Pike Tramp

 Yesterday, Wednesday the 9th of September, I got up at 7 and got ready in preparation for the Lake Daniell William Pike tramp. I arrived at school at 8 and our class and parents left for Lake Daniell at 8:20a.m. In my car was Nevey, Olive and I.  all week we had been doing work around leaving no trace, hypothermia all in preparation for wednesday.


On the way up we were all quite tired because it was still quite early but we ate chocolate biscuits and M and M’s. All the car groups met up at Reefton and went to the bathroom for the first car break. The car ride went for 2 hours. The second car break we had was at lewis pass which is in the southern alps.  when we arrived at the start of the tramp. We all numbered off and started walking


Last year I did the exact same walk but last year it was cold and raining. This year it was sunny and a nice day to go for a walk because this year we did it in spring. The walk there was quite easy and fun. We all walked through the beech forest.


When we arrived at the lake (kohanga Atawhai- Manson Nicolas hut)  we were allowed to walk through the newly built hut. Inside the hut it is very nice and gives off camping vibes. It is quite homely and there are 2 sleeping rooms. We all ate lunch at the hut and we went on the jetty to look out at the lake. Some parents took photos of us all on the hut and then we started walking back to the cars.


The way back took longer and felt worse because everyone was tired and wanted to go home. Even though I was tired I still kept walking and didn't complain. Some kids got told off because they were having a moss fight and throwing moss at each other. They got told off because they were not following the rules to ‘leave no trace’ We have been working around leaving no trace and putting things back where we found them. It was quite funny because on the way back I heard a lot of my classmates whining about wanting to go home.


 When we got to the cars it was the best feeling ever. On the car ride home I suddenly got all my energy and Nevey, Olive and I couldn't stop laughing. We drove all the way back to our school and dropped Olive off. My mum knows Nevey’s dad so we dropped Nevey off at her house and went home.


Overall I actually enjoyed the walk but I wished we were allowed to stay the night. I think that it would have been fun with everybody there for the night. I also think that it would be a good track to stay the night at because the walk is very easy and flat the whole way. I wonder if the Year 8s could do Lake Daniell tramp again for the overnight tramp instead of the other walk that has been planned?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.